Construction for Habitat Home #106 is scheduled to start Thursday, March 8, 2018, at 708 West Broad Street in Freeport. This will be the 2nd house built this year and the 106th Habitat house built in our local area since 1991.
Most work for volunteers is during the first 5-6 days of the build, especially on week days. Towards the end of the build, much of the work is done by contractors.
Sign-in, devotional, and breakfast are 7:30 to 8:00 a.m. each day at the big hospitality tent at the site. Work starts about 8:00 a.m. and runs until about 4:00 p.m. However, you can come and go at any time. Breakfast, lunch, water, lemonade and snacks will be provided during the regular work days.
Any and all volunteers of any skill level are welcome to participate on any of the work days. There will be skill leaders present to direct the work and to show anyone how to do an unfamiliar job. Most tools will be provided, however, you might want to bring your own hammer, tape and/or tool belt if you have them. So, find a job you want to do or take advantage of on-the-job training, and come help. Please note that there are age restrictions for safety reasons as follows:
· No one under 16 can be on an active construction site.
· No one under 18 is allowed to do any hazardous activities such as the use of power tools, roofing or working from a height of 6′ or more.
· Those 14-15 can do painting when there is no active construction work going on at the site, but should be supervised by an adult.
· Volunteers under 16 years old can help with landscape work if accompanied by an adult.
· All volunteers must have a signed waiver to work. Waivers for minors must be signed by parents/guardians and notarized.
If you have not done so in the last year, adults will also need to complete a waiver before your first day of work. All this can be done before you volunteer using the attached document or on the first day you volunteer.